Country Stables Undergo Restoration
The stables wing at Ven House, a historic 18th century country estate, were built by the celebrated architect Decimus Burton in 1837 and are undergoing refurbishment and are nearing completion. The two storey pavilion originally contained stables on the ground floor with grooms’ accommodation above. The original stable stalls are being reinstated and the floor above is being converted into a 1 bedroom guest apartment.
The team has had to work with a challenging site due to a bats’ roost which has been accommodated so as not to disturb their natural habitat through thoughtful construction means.
Most of the components of the stables including stall dividers, hay baskets and water troughs were found discarded in the outhouses and are being beautifully restored and repaired by Ballantines. The stables will be used as a bar and tea rooms for the many visitors who come to see the house and garden.
The project is estimated to be completed in April 2021.